Re: Debian USB Wifi

On 6/6/23 09:43, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Tue, Jun 06, 2023 at 09:33:03AM -0400, Celejar wrote:

[...]

My trusty search engine finds that it did indeed make it into 5.16 - but
it does need non-free firmware:

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Rtw89
https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Rtw89#Firmware

Thanks for completing. So free driver, but non-free blob. Sad.

Cheers

I should probably remind the list that this situation can be laid on the FCC's front desk here in the US, and in most of the countries that agree to abide by a common set of rules, that this is by edict, specifically to control what are usually software defined radios. The edict reads to the effect that it is programmed for a certain class of service, on a specific set of frequencies, called channels in normal lingo, and they must NOT be capable of having those limits defeated by you or I.

Consequently that portion of the control is a sealed blob you all hate because it is not accompanied by src code and there are some hefty fines (27,500 USD the last I heard, per instance) they can use against anyone disassembling that part of the code. For a 3 dollar radio at OEM cost?

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis