Re: Learning resources and material-wise, which distro has an easier learning curve - Debian or Arch?

Dear songbird,

songbird <songbird@anthive.com> writes:

> Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
>> Go with Gnome Desktop. Gnome is easy and friendly.
>>
>> Also i am using Gnome Desktop under Debian 11 Bullseye.
>
>   :)  i'm running testing with bits of unstable and
> just tagging along on this thread because i feel a
> bit chatty this morning so a bit of story time and
> preferences from my experiences so far with Debian
> and desktop environments.
>
>   if we're going to plug a different desktop with a
> simple interface (as indicated by the OP) i'll put one
> in for the MATE desktop.  it is fairly consistent for
> many years and a lot more simple for my pea brain to
> understand and get things done.  the other aspect i
> was after was being able to handle lesser versions of
> hardware that could at times not do as much as i
> might have wanted but it did work ok until i could
> finally upgrade my hardware.
>
>   having spent many hours years ago when various
> desktops were being developed to learn KDE and get my
> desktop set up exactly how i liked it and then they
> changed it to something i didn't like and so i switched
> to GNOME and went through the large amount of work to
> get that set up and how i liked it and again had that
> desktop change to something i did not like again (in
> both the KDE and GNOME cases it was also using more
> resources than my older machine at that time could
> reliably handle).  so then MATE came along and has
> done exactly what i wanted it to do.  stay simple and
> not mess up my layouts and preferences too much as
> it updates.  thankfully i have not had to do much
> more fiddling around or searching for another desk-
> top since.
>
>   i have not had to try the other more simple
> desktops, but i probably could manage it, after all
> a simple console text terminal was adequate for many
> years on a bunch of different machines through 15
> years of work even if i also could have multiple
> terminals open on a Sun machine.  thank ghods for a
> good local network all those years (one advantage
> of working at the university back then).  i really
> was spoiled by that and did not really appreciate
> it until i was offline more and forced to use dialup
> lines and modems all over again.

It is so long letter. Thank you for your real story. You nice guy ^^^

Still i believe that Gnome Desktop is beautiful even though it is heavy!

>> Sincerely, Byung-Hee
>
>   :)
>

>   songbird

Sincerely, Byung-Hee (Gnome user in Debian 11 Bullseye)