Re: CUPS on Bullseye and Bookworm

On Mon, 15 May 2023 14:22:14 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> > Not that I know of.
>
> Blocking port 5353 (mdns) is not unknown.

True. It is open (udp) on hawk (server) and ideapc, where I am running
shorewall (iptables). dragon has firewalld, which simply shows the
service, mdns, as open, but does not indicate the protocol.

>  [...]
> >
> > I shut the firewall down ("systemctl stop firewalld"), ran test
> > pages. Same non-results, except that system-control-printer now
> > reports:
> >
> > Idle - Print job canceled at printer.
> >

> > I tried increasing the logging, which involved stopping and
> > restarting the cups service. In the process of doing that, the
> > client and server both managed to forget the printer. I
> > re-installed it. On the server, I have one instance of the printer,
> > protocol:
> >
> > hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_MFP_M232-M237?serial=VNB4J02590
>
> Consider: the printer can be discovered via mDNS/DNS-SD by all
> machines on the network. ideapc does this and hasn't any difficulty
> printing. So why set up a server when hawk will see the printer as
> ideapc does?

Possibly just legacy habits. I'm not accustomed to this automation.

> Additionally, assuming the printer provides the IPP-over-USB protocol,
> the USB queue will not work. See
>
>   https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting
>
>  [...]
>
> The two URIs are equivalent.
>
>  [...]
> >
> > implicitclass://HP_LaserJet_MFP_M234sdw_C0FB67_/
>
> cups-browsed has automatically set up a queue. Unless it is having an
> off-day, it should do the same on hawk and dragon.

I have no idea what's going on here. I now see such a queue on hawk but
not dragon. Possibly the fact that I rebooted hawk yesterday had
something to do with it? I will reboot dragon later today and see if
that makes a difference.

>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
> >
> > I tried setting up a printer manually on the non-working client.
> >
> > ipp://hawk.localdomain/printers/HP_LaserJet_MFP_M232-M237
>
> hawk.local would be the correct hostname.

Nope, it's localdomain. It's all set up in DNS.

> > No test page, and I got:
> >
> > Processing - The printer may not exist or is unavailable at this
> > time.
> >
> > However, I checked the CUPS on-line documentation, and did not find
> > any documentation on how to set up a URI, so it's possible I did
> > that incorrectly.
> >
> > I also enabled "port 9100" printing on the printer, and went
> > directly to it:
>
> That had to be explicitly done?

Yes. I may have shut it off back when I first took delivery of the
printer. In any case, there is a page on the printer's web server where
one enables or disables all sorts of things.

> > socket://hpm234ethernet.localdomain:9100
>
> hpm234ethernet.local?

Again, the "localdomain" is correct.

As mentioned in another email, I opened that port in the firewall
(doh!), and that now works.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com