Re: Gene's avahi bogeyman is not real (Was Re: how to find outregdomain/country of wifi network)

On 5/14/23 17:21, Andy Smith wrote:
Dear debian-user archives,

On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 02:42:05PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
I've literally spent a frigging week trying to get iproute to
over-ride the broken 169.xx.xx.xx primary route that earlier
avahi's insisted on putting into a network config, that is why to
this day the first thing I do after an install, is find avahi and
rm it and reboot. rm because you could not remove it with apt w/o
tearing down the system far enough the only recourse was to
reinstall.  That is obviously an endless loop.

Routine note for the archive that avahi is another one of Gene's
Demons and the above is not in any way true. I have 50+ Debian hosts
that do not have avahi installed at all, and several more that
intentionally do and work fine.

As usual, Gene's experiences are due to a misconfiguration that
Gene made and cannot be helped with, despite many people trying over
a period of years.

When you see a post from Gene mentioning liberal use of "rm" and
"chattr +i" on parts of the operating system, do begin to question
what you are reading.

Thanks,
Andy

Thanks for the vote of no confidence Andy.

The diff as I see it, is that I refuse to actually run a dns server here, bind and I agreed to disagree nearly 25 years ago when bind was at 4 something and half the planet was cleaning after attacks on bind. The other half wasn't aware of anything except the net was dead, no dns.

The box in question was running rh 6.1 so that might give you a time frame. 2001 maybe. IDK, IDC.

We bought a block of 16 ipv4 addresses and registered & ran the tv stations net access, about 40 mostly windoze boxes preferring /etc/host files for local lookups. It works if the router relays, its fast, and bulletproof. The way I've configured is to first check the hosts file for a match, and failing that, fwd the lookup request to my dd-wrt router, and if dnsmasq doesn't know it, forward it to my ISP. And its all transparent in about 30 milliseconds. The reason I used rm on it is because back about wheezy I tried to remove it with apt, and its dependencies took 247 other packages with it totally killing the system.

I screamed about it at the time, years ago, everybody sneered and made fun of me, and ever so slowly the dependencies went away and I can now remove it with apt, but it appears I no longer need to. So it has been reinstalled.

Take care & stay well Andy.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis