Re: how to find out regdomain/country of wifi network

On 5/14/23 12:09, Andy Smith wrote:
Hello,

On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 06:48:59AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
So no, it doesn't look dead to me.

It (Linux ifconfig) exists and is still installable but will not be
getting any new features. It also displays incorrect information for
some features it does not understand.

So the arguments for its continued usage are extremely tenuous and
basically boil down to, "it's always worked for me!" Which is fine,
but does lead to situations like this where we have a whole thread
of confusion about why it doesn't have some particular feature that
a user, who was not aware that ifconfig is no longer the thing to
use, continued to try to use it.

Cheers,
Andy

That is all fine & dandy Andy, but how about replacing ifconfig with a bash script that recommends to the user, ip for hard wired stuff, iw for radio stuff. User education solved in one swell foop. Makes perfect sense to me.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis