Re: efi problem

On Sat, Apr 22, 2023 at 01:14:12PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Sat 22 Apr 2023 at 18:30:56 (+0100), mick.crane wrote:
> > I suspect the GPU is suspect because there are small blocks of pixels
> > appearing where they aren't wanted.
> > I'd like to re-install the OS as I've got copies of everything I think.
> > Just to see if it's maybe a driver issue.
> > Thing is I can't get the f12 options screen of the PC to let me boot
> > from a CD in this EFI mode what's grub done.
> > How can I boot from CD in this EFI mode?
>
> You try other keys besides F12. You tap them repeatedly after
> turning on. You try them in combination with Escape. There
> are usually a number of features on different keys, like:

If you can tell us what model of motherboard this is, we can maybe
tell you what key. If you have another Debian machine somewhere,
use dd to write a netinst.iso to a USB stick and boot from that?

Many old machines respond to DEL key tapped repeatedly on first booting up

F1 / F5 / F7 are all possibles: F12 is usually for a one time boot

You may need to set priority order for BIOS/MBR/Legacy and UEFI boot order
separately.

> F1        System Information
> F2        System Diagnostics
> F7        HP SpareKey