Re: /etc/fstab question (problem)?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 11:29:26PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Thu 20 Apr 2023 at 22:16:56 (+0700), Max Nikulin wrote:
>
> With modern hardware, you'd probably not want to go back to those
> device names, because the way the buses work, the internal drives
> can be assigned different names according to what's plugged into
> the computer.

FWIW, I do live with that (laptop here, one spinning rust inside).

The built-in disk is sda, when I stuff a usb stick in, it'll become
sdb unless... I stuff the usb stick too early in the boot process :)

I know this and can cope with it pretty well. But that's what labels
or (ugh) UUIDs were designed to solve.

There's a sweet spot between how much the user should "know" and
how much the system solves implicitly. Where this exactly is depends
on many factors, and it isn't the same for everyone.

Sometimes I doubt we are doing us a favour by making systems "smarter"
and users dumber: we create more and more dependencies.

But hey, that's me.

Cheers