Re: "Bug" in Debian Installer?

On 4/15/23 15:51, David Christensen wrote:
>      "Debian GNU/Linux UEFI Installer menu" -> "Install"

On 18/04/2023 15:51, David Christensen wrote:
On 4/17/23 21:47, David Wright wrote:
As in "Permission to break an egg, sir"? Did not pressing Enter in
reply to "Install" imply something?

d-i modifying a disk without explicit notification and permission is unacceptable.

d-i modifying NVRAM without explicit notification and permission is unacceptable.

These modifications happen at the last installation steps, so they hardly could be considered as unintended at least in the case of default (not expert) install.

I have tried bookworm RC1 netinst. "Detect disks" + manual partitioning detects existing ESP and selects it for ESP. I think, it is reasonable default action. I aborted installation, so I can say nothing concerning install grub stage.

Perhaps, preparing disk for another machine, you did not expect that you have to create another EFI System Partition, to choose it to use as ESP and to explicitly tell installer that existing ESP should not be used.

Opt-out variant for ESP sounds reasonable for me. However I am unsure if it is possible to complete installation with no ESP at all.

What may be considered as issues from my point of view:
1. From the disks overview screen it is not immediately obvious that installer is going to write to ESP partitions. 2. On a laptop having ESP partitions on 2 disks, both ones are marked for usage as ESP. I am unsure if it causes installation error later or grub is installed on both ones (taking into account single /boot/efi mount point).

Do you contribute to d-i?

No, I do not. You may check if your case has been discussed on the installer mailing list or in the bug tracker.

I am not sure that the topic starter faced the same issue as you are trying to rise since quite few details have been provided so far.