Re: tmp on tmpfs

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 06:00:53PM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 19/04/2023 13:34, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 01:15:01PM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
> > > https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/06/msg00311.html
> > >
> > > That is linked from https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization/#Reduction_of_SSD_write_frequency_via_RAMDISK
> >
> > What I didn't like from the post is that it doesn't clearly
> > state the downsides.
>
> Particular user may run applications requiring more space in /tmp than is
> configured by default for RAM disk. Examples are image manipulation,
> processing scientific data. The thread contains links to earlier
> discussions. I admit that I have more free RAM + buffers than free space on
> / as well, but it is a conscious choice.

Definitely -- but this will happen to you whatever device you have
backing your /tmp. Arguably, you'll be better off if /tmp has an
own device than when sharing one with /.

> That is a link that I had. I do not have another one with a better balanced
> opinion. My point that the suggestion may lead beginners to trouble, so they
> should be warned.

I don't mind opinions being unbalanced. They usually are (I know mine
are). What miffed me was that they went over many paragraphs telling
that it is bad whithout stating clearly /why/ they think it's bad. I
had to pick up between the lines that they possibly mean you might run
out of space. Well... yes?

> Notice that debian wiki recommends tmp.mount systemd unit instead of
> /etc/fstab line. Unsure if provides more flexibility or other advantages.

No idea. No systemd over here.

> P.S. Arbitrary time may be invested in optimization attempts. There are
> interesting features like swap in RAM (compressed memory pages). Some people
> get better performance for tasks like compiling chrome. Some can not achieve
> it.

Definitely,but we nerds gotta nerd :)

Cheers