Re: Am I infected with a rootkit?

On 4/18/23 06:43, Jesper Dybdal wrote:
On 2023-04-16 14:19, I wrote:
And there in the bash history were 4 lines that I had not written :-(

To summarize:

* Greg has convincingly argued that there is no way for the running shell to get those lines into its history, other than by issuing them over the ssh connection.

* We can therefore assume that the problem originated at the Windows machine (the ssh client).

* It seems that an intruder has had control over the Windows machine, including the ssh session, and thus, at least in principle, could have done harm also to the Linux machine.

* There is, however, no sign of an infection of the Linux machine. And the 4 lines do not suggest that whoever issued them knows what he's doing.

* So I am going to assume that the Linux machine is ok.

* The Windows machine could be infected with something that allows remote control.

* So I should probably reinstall the Windows machine from scratch - or perhaps restore a really old backup (I have one from July 2022, one from 2020, and one taken shortly after the original install in 2016).

Many thanks to everybody who answered!
Jesper

I do not believe the analysis is complete -- I never saw an answer to the following question (?); it is important:

On 4/17/23 21:42, David Wright wrote:
> OK, you wrote that you "pressed up-arrow a few times. And there in the
> bash history were 4 lines …". If those 4 lines were not the first
> things to appear when you pressed up-arrow, then I would assume that
> the commands you typed/just/  before you went out with the dog were
> the first lines to appear, and then your 4 lines after more up-arrows.
>
> If that's the case, then your 4 lines could have been typed
> in a previous login as root, and that could have been some time
> ago. They would have been languishing at the end of the file
> /root/.bash_history before you logged in as root this time.

Where the four commands in questions the very last commands entered into Putty, or were they prior? If the latter, how far back? Same session? Same day? A day ago? Week? Month?

David