Re: Am I infected with a rootkit?

On Mon, 17 Apr 2023, Stefan Monnier wrote:

That said, using one computer as router, firewall, file server, name server,
web server, and more represents "all of your eggs in one basket".  I suggest
using dedicated hardware for networking, network segmentation (e.g. DMZ),
and kernel or hypervisor compartmentalization of services.

Dedicated hardware has its upsides, indeed, but it also
has its downsides (e.g. in terms of impact to the planet).

This is very true.

I switched to using one of these:
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=J1900D2Y
in a xen configuration, from multiple hardware - but multiple services
on one hardware instance.

it's low power and fanless and has built in IPMI.

For me that ticks all the boxes I need. Having each of nameserver, dhcp
server, web server, firewall, "file server"[1] etc, running on separate
guests makes upgrading so much simpler too. I used to dread upgrades,
now they're relatively painless.

[1] I don't really run a fileserver but I do run iscsi targets.