Email submission. Was Re: https://<FQDN>:<port> vs. https://<IP address>:<port>.

    From: David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>
    Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 22:40:21 -0500
I notice that 2096 is often a webmail port. Does that mean you've
given up on sending emails by their submission port?

Submitting messages by the Web interface only until exim works.  =8~/
Certainly submission via exim is a better option.

Your emails on this topic suddenly stopped after March 26.

After switching to a new smarthost, exim still has me stumped.  =8~/
Switched to the exim-users list for more focused help.

$ cat /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf | tail -n 15
# This is a Debian specific file

dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
dc_other_hostnames=''
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
dc_readhost='easthope.ca'
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets=''
dc_smarthost='mail.easthope.ca::465'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='false'
dc_hide_mailname='true'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'

The debug log from
"exim -d+all+noutf8 me@anaccessibledomain ..." is in
http://easthope.ca/ex1 .  Many lines mention "retry" and I don't
understand the snag there.  Ideas welcome.

Not as interesting as an issue of _National_Geographic_.  Explanatory
headings could help more.
a: Where are you going.
b: Through the door.
a: I can see that.
b: Then why did you ask?
a: Because I don't have the ability to read thoughts.  [To know you're
going to the store for coffee cream.]

Incidentally, in Debian 11, POP3 works via stunnel.  The only
difficulty is to automate stunnel startup for non-inetd operation.
Start stunnel at boot up.

"man stunnel" mentions "delay DNS lookup for connect option".  No
effect here.

"@reboot root stunnel" in /etc/crontab starts a process after which
the MUA reports "No connection".

https://wiki.debian.org/Pan advises "ENABLED=1" in
/etc/default/stunnel4. No stunnel process results.  =8~/

Thx,                                ... P.