Re: update-initramfs

On Thu 13 Apr 2023 at 14:39:18 (-0600), Charles Curley wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2023 13:57:04 -0500
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/04/msg00405.html
> >
> > I was left with a system whose Grub menu only contained entries for
> > the new system, because os-prober no longer scours all the other
> > partitions for OSes any more.¹ To get back to booting bullseye by
> > default, the easiest way was to boot bullseye the once, and then run
> > install-grub /dev/sda.

Don't let me leave you with the impression that this was unexpected,
or of concern to me. And the way I dealt with it was offered here to
illustrate why the OP does not +need+ their kernel/initramfs backups
to be mixed up with the originals in /boot/grub, or for Grub's menu
to include them as a separate menuentry.

Also bear in mind that the post cited, on bookworm RC1 installation,
was to replicate the one made by the OP of that thread (right down to
using a BIOS/GPT system), and elicit a response with more information
(not forthcoming) on their "bug".

> I believe the preferred way to get back to including other OSs in
> grub's menu is to enable the OS prober by adding the following (if
> necessary) to /etc/default/grub, un-commenting the last line, and
> running update-grub.

Yes, and in my footnote, I showed that you can, if you want, get the
other OSes back /before/ the first reboot, remembering that that file
is mounted on /target while the OS is being built by the debian-installer.

> # Uncomment this to run os-prober to search for and add other OS
> # installations to the grub boot menu
> #GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

All present and correct in RC1.

Cheers,