Re: What do all those "* * *" mean on a traceroute log?

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 05:37:32PM +0000, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  I have found a few examples and "explanations" but in the cases of
> the examples I have seen by other people, like:

Quoth the man page:

  This program attempts to trace the route an IP packet would
  follow to some internet host by launching probe packets with
  a small ttl (time to live) then listening for an ICMP "time
  exceeded" reply from a gateway.  We start our probes with a
  ttl of one and increase by one until we get an ICMP "port
  unreachable" (or TCP reset), which means we got to the "host",
  or hit a max (which defaults to 30 hops) [...]
  If there is no response within a certain timeout, an "*"
  (asterisk) is printed for that probe.

So that means that the probe for the TTL in question "got lost":
either the router at that distance doesn't want to send an ICMP
our way or there's something in between eating ICMPs.

Cheers