Re: Riddling over systemctl, pulseaudio, firefox-esr, and salsa.debian.org

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 06:33:49PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i wrote:
> > > But why does it [pulseaudio] stay modest until i go to
> > >   https://salsa.debian.org/groups/optical-media-team/-/activity
> > > and why does it stay busy after i left that page ?
>
> Henning Follmann wrote:
> > I am pretty sure this is just coincidence.
>
> I tried at least three times while watching activity by top(1). The browser
> has a dozen tabs. First i visited others, then the tab with above URL. Each
> time the activity increase happened exactly when i went to that tab.
>
> But now i repeated the experiments and found that the effect is not so
> clearly to reproduce. There seems to be a significant preference for
> Gitlab sites to trigger pulseaudio's activity, but i also had system
> sessions where i could not reproduce it at all.

Perhaps the browser is trying to do some kind of notification via
audio?

I have one instance of a browser which shouldn't be able to talk
(since @#%&* firefox insisted on talking only to Pulseaudio, I
have to enable an instance explicitly with apulse, so I know that
one should be mute) but still it manages to make some noises for
"desktop notifications". In a nutshell, audio without audio is
still possible :)

There are some "notification" entries in about:config worth
investigating.

And indeed, the one browser instance (I keep most of them to
separate profiles, this one is dedicated to one of those jarring
corporate chat apps) making the noises does show having received
notification requests from the web site I expected (this is
somewhere in about:preferences#privacy, under "Permissions").

Perhaps it's that.

Good luck
--
tomás