Re: how to change default nameserver?

On 4/9/23 11:20, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sun, Apr 09, 2023 at 04:53:17PM +0200, zithro wrote:
Also, the line "search hosts, nameserver" is wrong. The place to put such
settings is "/etc/nsswitch.conf".
"search" is used to resolve hostnames to FQDN.
So if you put "search example.com", and you try to connect to a machine with
for example "ssh hostname", the DNS client will try to append example.com to
hostname, and try to resolve "hostname.example.com".

Welcome to the Gene Heskett show, starring Gene Heskett.

We've told Gene that his configuration is wrong *so* many times, over
*so* many years.  There are very many, very long, threads dedicated to
trying to help Gene get his network configuration to a sane state.

I recommend not trying again, but it's up to you.  Maybe you'll succeed
where everyone else has failed... I doubt it, but I can't rule it out.

.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Greg, but I'd like to point out that the help offered is only valid for systems with a working dhcpd. You tell me I'm wrong, but you don't tell how to do it right w/o dragging in dhcpd. My way doesn't need that. But you've made it your lifes work to not understand how my way Just Works.

Take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis