Re: ICMP router advertisement (ipv4)

On Mon, 10 Apr 2023, Tim Woodall wrote:

On Mon, 10 Apr 2023, Jeremy Ardley wrote:

On 10/4/23 11:02, Tim Woodall wrote:
My firewall has a single /128 acquired via SLAAC and the RA from the
router. My entire network is masqueraded through that single IP.

What does the RA contain? Typically on connection to an IPv6 capable ISP you will get assigned a single /128 from their range and granted a complete routable range at least /64 for you to use.

The interface between the router and the ISP will typically use the router fe80 to connect upstream but it will also have the /128 to use. The router should be able to route the /64 without NAT. If it can't then time for a new router.

I want to be able to put a firewall in front of the router. But there's
no way to get any traffic out of the router and into my network other
than that addressed to my firewalls /128

The router doesn't even attempt to see if a host exists if a packet to a
new ip arrives.

And it doesn't forward packets from new ips either, it just silently
drops them.

I don't know how the router learns ips but I suspect it's something to
do with DAD,