Re: How to get rid of the synaptic message (mentioned below) at the end of installing a package?

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Subject: Re: How to get rid of the synaptic message (mentioned
below) at the end of installing a package?
    From: davidson <davidson@freevolt.org>
    Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 03:10:28 +0000 (UTC)
[🔎] CAEG4cZVJtcgcaNK_0uCbt+DPGUcSSoHJEtxVbkNGx8aPh++APA@mail.gmail.com>

I tried multiple times to post this message. But the Earlier identical Messages
dated Mon, 3 Apr 2023 13:55:33 +0530 (IndianST) / Mon, 3 Apr 2023
01:25:33 -0700 (PDT), Mon, 3 Apr 2023 20:11:27 +0530 (IndianST) / Mon,
3 Apr 2023 07:41:27 -0700 (PDT),
Mon, 3 Apr 2023 20:59:20 +0530 (IndianST) / Mon, 3 Apr 2023 08:29:20
-0700 (PDT),
Tue, 4 Apr 2023 21:42:15 +0530 (IndianST) / Tue, 4 Apr 2023 09:12:15
-0700 (PDT) and some more appear to have been lost.

Finally, I heard from the List Maintainer the reason for my messages
getting dropped, confirming what Mr. Davison had indicated earlier. I
have removed offending url that caused my multiple emails getting
dropped by the List's spam protection because of BIT_LY_SPAM_BODY
rule. If only I could have been sent a warning message informing me of
the reason why my message won't be allowed would have saved a lot of
my time. Anyway, what is lost is already lost.

   [   ...   ]
I do not use synaptic, and know nothing about it other than that it is
a GUI package manager.

The warning below looks to me as though synaptic tried (and failed) to
store a temporary file in root's home directory.

If I were in your place, I would wonder why it did not use the
invoking user's home directory instead.

Maybe there are reasons. I would want to know what they are, and
endeavor to judge for myself whether they are good ones.

    W: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file
    '/root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_sh' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. -
    pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)

This matches a bug report:

  Bug #864179 - synaptic: Message appears:
  "W: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file
  '/root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_sh' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. -
  pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permiso denegado)"

   [   ...   ]

Thank you.

   [   ...   ]
You could send a message to

 864179@bugs.debian.org

informing the maintainer that the bug affects you.
   [   ...   ]

Ok. And done

   [   ...   ]
You could use a different tool for package management, like apt,
aptitude, or apt-{get,cache,etc}.
   [   ...   ]

Beyond me to read the man pages and make out something meaningful out
of them. I have a very limited comprehension. I had posted a note to
the debian-user list group about this. The emails are here:
(1)     https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/04/msg00552.html
(2)     https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/06/msg00432.html
with an illustrative, but incomplete, Mind Map at:
the OFFENDING URL with /Apt_readingManPages, which is very pertinent
for this conversation and doesn't contain offending content.

   [   ...   ]
I am not qualified to confirm or deny the accuracy of this perception.
   [   ...   ]
:)  :D

   [   ...   ]
What you mean by this is unclear to me. Are you not the administrator
of the machine? What "root report" are you referring to?
   [   ...   ]
I meant that I was using the computer as a user, but for installing
packages, I entered my root password for synaptic. I thought synaptic
wasn't properly configured to report outputs from root tasks to the
user.

I would not ignore warnings from a package manager.
But I am limited.

Thank you for replying to my email.
Best wishes.
Rajib