Re: package libxnvctrl0 installed by xfce, but nouveau is installed

On 2023-04-04 15:00:11 +0200, zithro wrote:
> I have a bug with the nouveau driver shown in dmesg, so I looked up for
> solutions.
> On freedesktop.org, they say to remove everything concerning nvidia first,
> and only installing/using "nouveau" packages.
> On my system, I found the package "libxnvctrl0" (by nvidia) which was
> installed by xfce.
> If I try to remove "libxnvctrl0", it wants to remove "xfce4-goodies" and
> "xfce4-sensors-plugin".
> Then, many packages are marked as "autoremove" (xfce-*, ristretto, ...).
> Is that normal that xfce packages rely on an official nvidia library, even
> when using nouveau ?

Perhaps. It is possible that some tools provided by these xfce
packages are linked against this library, so that a dependency
is required (otherwise, these tools would not be able to run,
even if they will not have to call functions from this library
in your case, e.g. when using nouveau).

> What should I do ?

Just keep this package installed. Since this is just a library
package (as you can check with "dpkg -L libxnvctrl0"), it should
not hurt.

IMHO, when they say to remove everything concerning nvidia first,
they probably mean packages that contain drivers and/or daemons
(and possibly some binaries), as they could be loaded/executed by
default.