Re: Is perl still the No.1 language for sysadmin?

tomas wrote:

>> Put it this way, a novice Python programmer can do more in
>> Python than the novice Lisp programmer can do in Lisp, or,
>> if you will, the same in less time.
>
> I've seen people cutting off part of a door with
> a bread knife.

But that is using a poor tool for the job, here we are
talking, the tool is right, only the user has not come close
to mastering it, don't know its peculiarities, has limited
overview, and is still in a trial-and-error stage.

> If you measure a tool by what a novice can achieve with it,
> then, well, that's some metrics.

Yes, why not? But s/he can be at some medium level as well.

>   "When someone says 'I want a programming language in
>    which I need only say what I wish done,' give him a
>    lollipop." [1]
>    -- Alan Perlis

Ah, that quote refers to this song from our Danish and
Norwegian friends:

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFaq6ViT6fs

--
underground experts united