Re: Is perl still the No.1 language for sysadmin?

Hello,

On Sun, Apr 02, 2023 at 11:36:16PM +0200, Oliver Schoede wrote:
> I don't see much of a reason for learning Perl today unless you're
> a die-hard hobbyist with near infinite amount of time and an
> undying penchant for obsolete technology.

Perl continues to get new releases and new features. Just because
it has less of a user base than it once did does not mean it is
obsolete.

If you don't have to support some application written in Perl then
it's hard to see a compelling reason to learn it, but there are
plenty of people who do have to do that, and plenty of new language
features for them to keep up to speed with.

Programming is extremely domain-specific and AI will not change that
any time soon, although it may well chip away at the use cases for
simple standalone throw-away scripting tasks.

For example, even if some AI assistant is written in Python, and
even if you can ask it to spit out a device driver for the Linux
kernel that does X and Y with Z hardware, do you think the device
driver that it spits out will itself be written in Python?

Cheers,
Andy