Re: solution to / full

On Wed 01 Mar 2023 at 19:53:09 (+0000), Andy Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 07:53:19PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> I was talking about them going to the effort of separating /home and
> /var and ending up with completely inappropriate sizings. They would
> have been much better off just not bothering and having it all in /.
> The mere presence of all these other partitions laid out on this
> disk after the one for / makes resizing things a lot harder than it
> needs to be.

I always keep /home separate from the root filesystem(s). It makes
upgrading more flexible (in-place vs reinstall), and I also typically
encrypt /home.

> > On the other hand, in 2023, it is still a very good idea to separate the
> > system filesystem that gets written frequently from the one that gets
> > written rarely from the user data filesystem.
>
> No argument there, but not with disk partitions as they end up hard
> to resize, as seen here. OP is quite fortunate that their last
> partition is one that can be most easily shrunk as that at least
> gives them some easier options. I'd agree it would be a better
> example of a tight spot if their last partition were one they
> couldn't shrink!

I don't understand why being the last partition matters. The partition
shouldn't be aware of your shrinking and growing the filesystem within
it, and the partitioner should be able to repartition a disk without
being aware of the contents of the sectors themselves.

(Mind you, I don't partition disks in units of GB, but always sectors,
and I keep a sector listing of the partitions in the disk's log.)

Cheers,
David.