Re: Name or Sevice not known - bind

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 09:12:19PM +0100, Maurizio Caloro wrote:
> # host -t A pluto.sternbild.m 127.0.0.1
> Using domain server:
> Name: 127.0.0.1
> Address: 127.0.0.1#53
> Aliases:
>
> Host pluto.sternbild.m not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Hmm.  In your previous message, you have:

> # cat /etc/bind/named.conf.local
> //
> // Do any local configuration here
> //
>
> zone "ns1.sternbild.m" {
>         type master;
>         file "/var/cache/bind/db.sternbild.m";
>        };
> zone "D.C.B.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file "/var/cache/bind/db.reverse.sternbild.m";
>         allow-query { any; };
>        };

The most obvious issue here is that you don't have a "sternbild.m" zone
definition here.  You've got "ns1.sternbild.m" as a zone, but that's
a hostname.  Try changing that to zone "sternbild.m".

Other issues:

It seems strange that one zone has the "allow-query { any; };" line
while the other does not.  Either both zones should need it, or neither
one should need it, I would think.

Your "master" zones should be in /etc/bind/ rather than /var/cache/bind/
according to the README.Debian file.  The /var/cache/bind/ directory
should only contain information that can be recreated (e.g. secondary
zones that can be re-pulled from the primary server).  I doubt that's
actually causing a problem, but it's something you should probably clean
up eventually.