Re: need kino. or a substitute that can work with a sony hi-8metal720 by handicam.

On 1/11/23 18:25, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 5:47 PM Klaus Singvogel
<deb-user-ml@singvogel.net> wrote:

gene heskett wrote:
Installed all that I *think* about 30 pkgs, dmesg says new device fw1, and
it exists now in /dev/, but VLC can't open device, see logs but other than
the plug in report, no connection.

The advice of Jeffrey Walton to change the permission would be my first help too.

fw1 indicates to be a FireWire device, so I'm out; never possessed one.

But I stumble about the uncommon naming: usually it's fw0, not fw1.
Do you have a second FireWire device already plugged in, or can the naming somehow else be explained (by slot number)?
If not, I would suggest a reboot of the machine, because I assume a jam in the kernel then.

But as said, no experience here.

Maybe someone else can step in?

It didn't occur to me fw was firewire. According to this old Ubuntu
page, there is a firewire group.[1] I can't find a similar Debian wiki
page.

If Gene is already in the firewire group, then I would look at udev
rules. udev may be setting permissions to root:root instead of
root:firewire.

Its setting perms to root:video, and video does not exist in /etc/group.

Now what?

Thank you.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FireWire/oldPages/Firewire01

Jeff