Re: Recommended SSDs and 4-bay internal dock

On Wed, 11 Jan 2023, at 14:58, Tom Browder wrote:
> I plan to install a 4-bay, hot swappable SSD dock to replace the existing
> DVD in my only 5.5" externally accesible bay.  To fill it, I will get up to
> four 2.5 inch SSDs of 1 Tb: MX500 by Crucial. My plan is to use the SSDs
> for backup, but not in a RAID configuration.

I can't advise on choice of dock etc, but I'm interested in the side issue
of how long an unpowered SSD can be assumed still to be holding
the data written to it.

Does one need (just) to mount the drive once in a while?  (How often?)

Or does one need (say) to read every file on the drive once, so that the
SSD controller can assess whether any data needs to be moved?

Or does one need to read every byte, allocated or not?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.