Re: Why Debian packaging structure is so difficult

On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 07:18:53 -0500
Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> wrote:

> The best solution, IMHO, is to mirror using a tool that is aware of
> the specific structure of apt repositories.  Personally, I have had
> excellent success with apt-cacher-ng, which functions much like a
> squid proxy.  You configure apt-cacher-ng with the sources you like,
> then you configure the clients on your network with the same sources
> but tell them to use the apt-cacher-ng proxy.

I second using apt-cacher-ng (acng). I've never configured acng itself,
just the clients, and that is simple and easily scripted.

The only thing it doesn't do is cache https only repositories. Those are
few and far between, and the reason it doesn't is inherent in https, so
I doubt any similar program will cache them. There are ways for clients
to deal with that limitation.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com