Re: [OT] The DIY D-Day A movement taking on the likes of Apple is winninga major battle for consumers.

On 1/3/23 13:32, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
A good article on the Right to Repair in the US in general, and New
York in particular. For New Yorkers, the state has a comprehensive law
going into effect on July 1, 2023. New Yorkers will have reasonable
priced access to tools, parts, and manuals required to fix their
devices.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/12/the-right-to-repair-movements-biggest-battle.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

.
And one more time John Deere bought their way into a monopoly. One thing that's already very hard to find in NYS because the farmers won't buy it is John Deere green. Basically NYS is Farmall Red. J.D. Rider Lawn mowers by non-farmers are even getting rare, their parts and repair attitude is life threatening, for John Deere that is.

I bought a used JD rider because it was super cheap. Ran it into a split rail fence and broke a horn off the frame that held one side of the hood, something any blacksmith could make in 10 minutes max, but locally no blacksmiths, so I hauled myself 40 miles south to a dealer to order it. A foot of bent 1/2" iron rod cost me over $100 at the counter. Then the tranny froze in 2nd gear, and I can't cut my place w/o a reverse. It went to the junk yard after I salvaged the wheels and tires. Bought a 20yo Craftsman & ran it a decade till its tranny froze. Replaced with a new Husky with fluid drive.

Sweet. Only reason I look back is to see if a meat eater is gaining on me.

Happy New Year everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis