Re: How to check for scheduled shutdown

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 09:09:56AM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 22 Nov 2022 at 15:56:48 (+0100), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 08:48:25AM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > There's a file, "scheduled", that's created in /run/systemd/shutdown,
> > > which contains the time, noisiness and destiny of the shutdown.
> > > I haven't tried editing, say, the noisiness, to see whether I can stop
> > > the flow of Wall messages on all my xterms.
> >
> > *My* shutdown has a command line option (-Q) for the latter. Dunno about
> > yours ;-)
>
> # shutdown -Q +15
> shutdown: invalid option -- 'Q'
> #

Ah, that Other Init System. Moving fast and breaking things ;-)

> But I meant in arrears, hence the "say".

I see.

Hm. With SysV, you can't either (spoiler alert: the shutdown process
itself is the one doing the timing by sleeping until fulfillment of
its task). But you always can cancel it (shutdown -c with SysV, dunno,
again, with systemd).

> I still haven't tried editing, say, the MODE=poweroff to MODE=reboot,
> in order to see whether the file is only written, or read at intervals
> as well. I might have done if I hadn't already started my browser, and
> other miscellaneous tasks.

That would be a nice experiment, yes :-)

Cheers