Re: email lacks sender address (SOLVED)

On Sun 08 May 2022 at 19:20:05 (-0600), Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2022 19:42:57 -0500 David Wright wrote:
>
> > I'm really not sure who, and under what circumstances,
> > hostnamectl is for.
>
> Nor am I, especially after this. According to apt-file, it is in the
> package systemd.
>
> > I ran:
> >
> > # hostnamectl set-hostname acerx
> >
> > and /etc/hostname was changed, but not /etc/hosts, which still had:
> >
> > 127.0.1.1       acer.corp       acer
>
> I confirm this. I guess I missed it due to rarely referring to a
> computer by its hostname, but instead by localhost. Sigh. Thanks for
> the catch. It looks like I shall have to adjust my installation scripts.
>

> > and also not /etc/mailname. I'm not saying it should have affected
> > those occurrences, but that it's better to check you have the
> > correct, consistent name throughout the system.
>
> Odd. On the two boxes I used hostnamectl on, mailname is set correctly.
> However, I ran it on installation, and may have fixed that manually
> (but there's no backup file), or by installing postfix subsequently.

Well, I was running hostnamectl after the event, ie on an already
fully-configured system. In your case, you probably configured exim
after setting the hostname (or it's the same name anyway, or whatever).
OTOH I think dpkg-reconfigure reads the mailname from /etc/hosts,
rather than /etc/hostname, initially (ie when /etc/mailname is unset.
If it's already set, it just parrots it.).

> > It's also not clear to me either, where one might insert this command
> > so that it takes effect early enough to avoid polluting the system
> > with wrong names. (The logs, for one example.)
>
> I run it in a script that I run manually immediately after installation.

I see. And it sets /etc/hostname for good. But I think the OP's
problem might have been that DHCP was overwriting /etc/hostname
each time it ran (or ran at boot time).

> > It would seem then that you were letting DHCP in the router set your
> > hostname as well as the usual IP address, nameservers etc, which
> > could be unfortunate if it doesn't agree. How you avoid that depends
> > ….
>
> Yup. However I make sure they agree by assigning most hosts a "host"
> statement in dhcpd.conf, and assigning a fixed IP address to a given MAC
> address, and then having dhcpd feed that to bind9.

Similarly here, except that I don't have anything running a DNS
server. But the router's DHCP table's hostname agrees with
/etc/hostname, /etc/hosts, /etc/mailname, and any derived places
like update-exim4.conf.conf and the ssh keys.

BTW my "…" stood for "different with different configurations", and
I don't think I can even avoid it on my own preferred DHCP client,
iwd. (I think I have seen a post proferring a patch to allow it.)

Cheers,
David.