Re: LF (was Re: CR/LF)

On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 11:48:23AM -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Sun, 2022-12-11 at 08:54 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 08:16:35AM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > That said. Greg, I was also shaken by your roaring tone.
> >
> > Yeah, well, he was told the same thing, repeatedly, by multiple people,
> > and somehow he managed to ignore every single instance of it.
>
> That is not true at all.

<https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/12/msg00274.html>:

  Try echo -n ${TEST} at the end.

<https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/12/msg00275.html>:

  The second echo command (the local one) produces a newline.  Since you
  did not give it any parameters, that's all it produces.

<https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/12/msg00279.html>:

  Because the second echo in the first line does not have a -n.

  All the ssh stuff is superfluous.

Those are the direct responses to your initial message.  I didn't even
have to go beyond the first layer of replies to get THREE instances of
people telling you the SAME thing -- that your "extra newline" was being
produced by your echo command.

I'm fairly sure there are more instances in the next layers of replies.

All of them are telling you the SAME THING.  You just can't hear it.