Re: exif --remove not idempotent, and a Debian man page bug

On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 03:17:31PM +0200, hede wrote:
> Am 21.09.2022 14:46, schrieb Emanuel Berg:
> > Maybe related to the '-o f f' part as your imagination
> > tells you ...
>
> The "-o" means: "Write output image to FILE". And it does so, as far as I
> can see.

The question is whether specifying "-o f f" where the output file
has the same name as the input file actually overwrites the original
input file.  Another person reported that it does *not* -- that you get
a *.modified.jpeg file as output instead.

If I had the first inkling of a clue what an exif tag actually *was* I
might try testing it myself.  I'm gathering that it has something to do
with JPEG images, based on the *.modified.jpeg default output filename.
Beyond that, I know nothing.

One of you people who knows this software and has a testable input file
should (please!) try it, and show us the results.  Make an empty
directory.  Copy the JPEG file into it.  Show "ls -l" output.  Run the
exif command.  Show "ls -l" again.