Re: Package grub-xen-host breaks PV domains with 11.5 point release

On 9/12/2022 12:55 AM, David Wright wrote:
> On Mon 12 Sep 2022 at 01:15:47 (+0200), Tom Lew wrote:
> > This is my first post, bear with me..
> >
> > Package "grub-xen-host" shipped with point release 11.5 broke all PV
> > domains on my Xen server, after "apt upgrade" from 11.4.
> >
> > I found https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1017944
> > exactly mirroring my situation, and I wonder whether this can be fixed
> > for other users in any (fast) way, upfront other users doing apt
> > upgrade on their Xen hosts?
> >
> > My workaround for this ATM: install and pin previous grub-xen-host
> > (grub-xen-host_2.04-20_amd64.deb, grub-xen-bin_2.04-20_amd64.deb,
> > grub-common_2.04-20_amd64.deb). Probably the wrong way to fix it, but
> > works for me so far(TM).
> >
> > In case this should be reported or added to something somewhere,
> > please let me (a Debian bug reporting newbie) know.
>
> I would imagine a fix could follow quite quickly as it only requires
> rebuilding with a filename added to a list of files not to have
> their symbols stripped (or reverting the compatibility level change).

The patch to fix the bug with the dh_strip override was identified six days ago
in the bug report by a user, yet AFAICT the grub maintainers have not even
acknowledged the existence of this bug yet to those who have contributed
to the bug report on BTS. So I do not expect a fix very soon. The grub maintainers
do not have the time or interest to fix it. Perhaps the Xen users could try to
convince the Xen maintainers to do an nmu to fix it if the grub maintainers
continue to ignore the bug, but I don't know if that breaks the etiquette that
governs such things in the world of Debian developers - I am just a Debian user.

Best regards,

Chuck