Re: determining hotkeys for a program, without a manual?

On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 04:07:43PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> that or maybe the waybackmachine.
>

> Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
>
> .
>
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2022, John Covici wrote:
>
> > How about -h or --help, do either of those give you anything?  What is
> > the name of the utility, maybe its webpage is in archive.org
> > somewhere.
> >
> > On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 13:30:50 -0400,
> > Karen Lewellen wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > > A  creative question to be sure, but I am running out of ideas.
> > > I have a DOS utility that is quite small.  its purpose is to
> > > interface with a stand alone scanner I own, xerox Reading Edge,
> > > and via connector to my computer's serial port transfer  scanned
> > > content  directly into my word processor, Wordperfect.
> > > Most of my computer things are in storage, but I am working on
> > > research that requires me to use the utility.
> > > Normally I would remind myself of commands by checking its
> > > manual, but that machine is not available.
> > > Might add, that it may have been written in-house, the trading
> > > company in Detroit listed as the Creator seems to be gone.
> > > Question is this.
> > > Is there any simple way to review the program code and discover 2
> > > hot keys?
> > > would happily pay someone with the talent, as I use the program
> > > professionally.
> > > Thanks for any ideas,
> > >
> > > Karen

Xerox Reading Edge into Google sent me to the AFB - the American Federation of the Blind. It's an evolution of the Kurzweil reading system which was insanely advanced when
I saw it in the very early 1980s - $22,000 scanner that could read text to you.

Kurzweil Educational Systems (or the AFB) might be able to help. Maybe quicker and easier than asking someone to carry out software engineering.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater