determining hotkeys for a program, without a manual?

Hi everyone,
A  creative question to be sure, but I am running out of ideas.
I have a DOS utility that is quite small. its purpose is to interface with a stand alone scanner I own, xerox Reading Edge, and via connector to my computer's serial port transfer scanned content directly into my word processor, Wordperfect. Most of my computer things are in storage, but I am working on research that requires me to use the utility. Normally I would remind myself of commands by checking its manual, but that machine is not available. Might add, that it may have been written in-house, the trading company in Detroit listed as the Creator seems to be gone.
Question is this.
Is there any simple way to review the program code and discover 2 hot keys? would happily pay someone with the talent, as I use the program professionally.
Thanks for any ideas,

Karen