Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored for a long time?

On 8/19/2022 9:18 PM, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 08:20:21PM -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
> > On 8/19/2022 6:59 PM, Andy Smith wrote:
> > > Volunteers cannot be forced to do work, else they are not
> > > volunteers.
> >
> > The fact that Debian is created by volunteers and therefore the chances are
> > high that users might run into problems and not get help from the volunteers
> > who alone have the power to fix the problems is a fact that Debian users, and
> > all users of free software, need to keep in mind.
>
> A danger here is that you write as if this is a particular problem
> for Debian, but I think you've merely stated a truism for every
> volunteer effort of any kind.
>
> People do sometimes need reminding that they are relying on a
> volunteer effort, however.
>
> > I am going to try some other projects and find out by experience
> > where the consideration for the user has a higher priority than in
> > Debian.
>
> I am not going to tell you that Debian is the best Linux
> distribution for you or anyone specific, though you could perhaps
> expect responses along those lines given that we're having this
> conversation in a Debian space.
>
> The thing is though, you can experience a problem within one project
> that is frustrating and demotivating and so move to another project
> that does not have that particular problem, only to later experience
> a different problem in the next project that is also frustrating and
> demotivating. Only you can decide which one overall suits you best;
> what's certain is that nothing is going to be perfect.

Of course.

> If any Linux distribution were asked, "do you consider the user
> experience to be a high priority?" they are probably all going to
> answer, "yes!" But in reality there will always be some decisions
> (or lack of decisions) made where some number of users feel they
> were mistreated.
>
> If you have the time and interest to look at other distributions
> it's probably not going to be wasted time, anyway, if only to
> compare and contrast.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Thanks for the feedback, I do have the time to experiment with other distros and obviously I will use what best serves my goals. Debian still has the advantage that I have been using it for quite a while, have invested much time in tweaking it, and it still works fairly well for me. But at this point, I don't know if I will upgrade to bookworm or move to another distro before bookworm is released.

Best regards,

Chuck