Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored for a long time?

Chuck Zmudzinski <brchuckz@netscape.net> writes:

> On 8/19/2022 6:59 PM, Andy Smith wrote:
>> Hello,

>> > you are saying if a Debian user experiences a bug in Debian
>> > software, Debian developers/maintainers do not have to fix it.
>>
>> That is a direct consequence of the meaning of the term "volunteer";
>> you may as well have said, "water is wet". Volunteers cannot be
>> forced to do work, else they are not volunteers.
>
> The fact that Debian is created by volunteers and therefore the chances are
> high that users might run into problems and not get help from the volunteers
> who alone have the power to fix the problems is a fact that Debian users, and
> all users of free software, need to keep in mind.

This is equally true of commercial software: if the company feels it's a
low-enough impact bug it won't get fixed.

Commercial software has the additional risk that a product may simply
be withdrawn from the market.  With cloud-based commercial software,
this means it could completely fail to function (one that's particularly
noticeable is that as companies withdraw from the home automation space,
consumers are discovering their smart home has suddenly become
completely dumb).