Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored for a long time?

Hi Chuck,

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 08:20:21PM -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
> On 8/19/2022 6:59 PM, Andy Smith wrote:
> > Volunteers cannot be forced to do work, else they are not
> > volunteers.
>
> The fact that Debian is created by volunteers and therefore the chances are
> high that users might run into problems and not get help from the volunteers
> who alone have the power to fix the problems is a fact that Debian users, and
> all users of free software, need to keep in mind.

A danger here is that you write as if this is a particular problem
for Debian, but I think you've merely stated a truism for every
volunteer effort of any kind.

People do sometimes need reminding that they are relying on a
volunteer effort, however.

> I am going to try some other projects and find out by experience
> where the consideration for the user has a higher priority than in
> Debian.

I am not going to tell you that Debian is the best Linux
distribution for you or anyone specific, though you could perhaps
expect responses along those lines given that we're having this
conversation in a Debian space.

The thing is though, you can experience a problem within one project
that is frustrating and demotivating and so move to another project
that does not have that particular problem, only to later experience
a different problem in the next project that is also frustrating and
demotivating. Only you can decide which one overall suits you best;
what's certain is that nothing is going to be perfect.

If any Linux distribution were asked, "do you consider the user
experience to be a high priority?" they are probably all going to
answer, "yes!" But in reality there will always be some decisions
(or lack of decisions) made where some number of users feel they
were mistreated.

If you have the time and interest to look at other distributions
it's probably not going to be wasted time, anyway, if only to
compare and contrast.

Cheers,
Andy