Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored for a long time?

On 8/19/2022 6:43 PM, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 6:40 PM Chuck Zmudzinski <brchuckz@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>     On 8/19/2022 6:20 PM, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 5:07 PM Chuck Zmudzinski <brchuckz@netscape.net> wrote:
>     >
>     >     On 8/19/2022 4:44 PM, piorunz wrote:
>     >     > On 19/08/2022 18:57, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     > > I have noticed that some Debian bugs are ignored for a long time, sometimes even when the person who submitted the bug offered a patch. The Debian developers/maintainers sometimes don't even reply and therefore never explain why the proposed patch cannot be applied. Why is that the case with Debian developers/maintainers?
>     >     >
>     >     > Hi Chuck,
>     >     >
>     >     > Maybe because developers/maintainers are not paid by the hour, but mere
>     >     > volunteers, don't you think?
>     >
>     > Debian Stable usually only ships security and stability patches.
>     >
>     >
>     >     So that means "free" software written and maintained by volunteers will never be as
>     >     stable and secure as software that is written by people who are paid by the hour.
>     >
>     > Freexian has developers that are paid by the hour to work on Debian, anyone who wants with cash to spare can purchase some hours to have work done on packages of their choosing.
>     >
>     >   * 2 hours pack: 240 EUR + VAT (120 EUR/hour)
>     >   * 5 hours pack: 600 EUR + VAT (120 EUR/hour)
>     >   * 10 hours pack: 1150 EUR + VAT (115 EUR/hour)
>     >   * 20 hours pack: 2300 EUR + VAT (115 EUR/hour)
>     >   * 50 hours pack: 5500 EUR + VAT (110 EUR/hour)
>     >

>     That's good to know. Thanks. Presumably the work they do would be contributed back
>     to Debian for the benefit of all. I am curious if they would be able to help in a case when
>     a bug with a known fix has been ignored for a long time. I would prefer that Debian would
>     just fix the bug instead of having to pay someone to tell Debian they should fix the bug.
>
>     I could also just migrate to Fedora since their distro does not have the bug and I wouldn't
>     have to pay anyone for my system to work using Fedora.
>
> Distro hopping is one of the best things about Linux, I personally switch between Debian, openSUSE and Fedora. One day I want to roll my own distro. I am planning on making a stripped down debian focusing on KDE Plasma and KDE Apps. One DE one hardware platform.

Yes, the many distros is a nice thing about Linux, and now it looks like it is time for
me to start hopping from Debian to other distros when necessary.

Sorry, I forgot to reply-to the list, so I am bringing the discussion back to the list.

Thanks,

Chuck