Re: Raising volume past 100%

On Fri, 19 Aug 2022, Bret Busby wrote:
On 19/8/22 01:32, David Griffith wrote:

My reply is at the bottom.  Please put your reply there too.
On Thu, 18 Aug 2022, Bret Busby wrote:
On 18/8/22 16:15, David Griffith wrote:

There is the continuing problem of built-in speakers on laptops being too quiet when running Linux.  I managed to fix this with something in /etc/asound.conf and an extra mate-volume-control applet added to the panel.  With this extra volume control, I was able to turn the audio far past 100% and even past 153%.  The laptop I'm working on needed to be wiped and the OS reinstalled.  Unfortunately I neglected to save or write down what I did to implement this volume control tweak.

Before I discovered this, I used /etc/asound.conf (or ~/.asoundrc) to add a "Pre-Amp" slider to Alsa.  This raises up the low end such that the really quiet audio stuff is loud enough.  I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the volume control tweak.

Would someone please help me with figuring out what I could have possibly done to make MATE's audio control applet to go as far past 100% as I cared to raise it?

Do you have access to the MATE Control Center, through the applications menu?

If so, in there, is the Hardware -> Sound settings configurator

Also, in System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Sound

Whilst this is on a UbuntuMATE system, I expect that you should, if you are using the MATE desktop environment, have access the same way, to the same functionalities.

I'm on a regular Debian system.  What you pointed me to is the same thing that I get if I right-click on the volume control applet and select "sound preferences".  I'm not clear on what I'm supposed to see there as it has no visible options to raise the maximum volume.

1. As a person whom strictly bottom posts as a rule, and, as this was clearly shown in the message above, your comment at the top of the message, is not appreciated.

Sorry. That tag has been part of my reply header for some time. I'll reword it.

2. See attachment. The slider goes past 100%, which, from your wording in your request, is what I understand that you seek.

What I seek is 1) the ability to hover the mouse pointer over the volume applet and raise the volume past 100% using the mouse wheel and 2) the ability to click on the volume applet and use the slider that appears to raise the volume past 100%. I already know how to bring up a dialog to do this. I was able to do #1 before an untimely wipe and reinstall and am having trouble figuring out just what I did.

--
David Griffith
dave@661.org