Re: Windows on VMware on Deb 11: safely usable?

On 18/8/22 7:48 pm, Jeremy Nicoll wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2022, at 12:38, Jeremy Ardley wrote:

As an aside, a Windows host for a client sucks big time. Windows will
automatically restart periodically no matter what you do to prevent it.
How often does that happen?

I only ask because it doesn't for my pretty much always-on W8.1 laptop.

I /choose/ to cold restart it every few weeks, when I remember, but it's
not happening at random.

No Windows Updates get installed automatically on that machine.

I believe though that managing this gets harder on W10/W11 especially
if one does not have the "Pro" or "Enterprise" versions of the OS.

I use Windows 11, and previously Windows 10. I run a Windows 7 client because due to purely evil 'licensing' by Reckon I am unable to move software I have bought to any other system. Luckily I figured this was likely years ago and did the install on a VM (which is also banned by Reckon, but needs must)

I have followed any number of recipes to stop the Windows host reboot but none work; and I'm pretty sure Microsoft has a team plugging any work-arounds in near real-time. You may well be right that Enterprise managed systems don't have the same problem.

With regard to runing Windows clients, there may be restrictions on the version of client you can put in a VM - such as OEM versions may not be legally installed on a VM. The rules have changed over time and I don't guarantee to be up to date on which are presently applicable.

--
Jeremy