Re: Windows on VMware on Deb 11: safely usable?

On 8/17/2022 10:34 AM, hdv@gmail wrote:
> On 2022-08-17 12:53, Tom Browder wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I have to have a Windows host. I have given up dual
> > hosting because of the pain, so I am using a dedicated Win 10 box and a
> > Deb laptop.
> >
> > I would love to run Windows on a VM on Debian iff I can have it be
> > reliable enough to use with reasonable response (no games, just Office
> > 360, IO Drive, H&R Block, and such). I haven't kept up with the VM world
> > but a quick search shows VMware might be a good choice.
> >
> > Anyone using such a rig for the real world (i.e., not testing or as a
> > hobby)? If it is reliable, I plan to get a hefty SilentPC to run my
> > primary digital duopoly.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Tom
>
> Please note that VirtualBox isn't in the official repository. There is a
> reason for that: Oracle won't/can't cooperate with the Debian Security Team.
>
> As for VMWare: when I still used it, a major disadvantage was that you
> had to fuss around with the kernel every time there was an update. That
> really was a major PITA. I don't know if that still is the case with
> VMWare, but I do know I have no such trouble with libvirt. At all.

I don't see much discussion about libvirt on debian-use, which I presume is
KVM/Qemu VMs. That means one of two things: either 1) no one is using it, or
2) it works so well it is good enough for the real world and no one needs to ask
questions about it on debian-user.

My advice - buy your Silent PC, Install Debian on it, and use KVM/Qemu on it
to install Windows. That will use supported Debian free software to provide the
virtualization environment for your Windows installation. If for some reason
KVM/Qemu/libvirt does not work, then install Windows Pro on the Silent PC
and run Debian in Hyper-V. AFAIK, MS fully supports Debian in Hyper-V, and that
would also most likely be a reliable setup also for the real world to run Debian 11
and Windows 10/11 simultaneously.

Chuck