Re: Windows on VMware on Deb 11: safely usable?

On 8/17/2022 6:53 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> Unfortunately, I have to have a Windows host. I have given up dual hosting because of the pain, so I am using a dedicated Win 10 box and a Deb laptop.
>
> I would love to run Windows on a VM on Debian iff I can have it be reliable enough to use with reasonable response (no games, just Office 360, IO Drive, H&R Block, and such). I haven't kept up with the VM world but a quick search shows VMware might be a good choice.
>
> Anyone using such a rig for the real world (i.e., not testing or as a hobby)? If it is reliable, I plan to get a hefty SilentPC to run my primary digital duopoly.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Tom

I have this working now with Xen/Qemu, Deb 11, and Windows 10, but I would not recommend
that for the real world, since sometimes updates and such break it. I don't know about VMware
on Debian, I suppose it might work, you can inquire with VMware to see how much support they
provide for VMware on Debian. Also, KVM/Qemu users might be able to weigh in with how
viable that is as an option to run Windows in a VM on Debian for the real word. And the
other option I know about is Virtualbox, which I also think can run on Debian and supports
Windows VMs.

Best regards,

Chuck