Re: Verison IPv6 -- I want to stick with IPv4 (was Re: ipv6: static ipv6 address with dynamic network address possible?)

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022, Marco wrote:

Am 15. Aug 2022, um 08:15:30 Uhr schrieb Tim Woodall:

Isn't the danger here that everybody starts using fd00::/64. Even for
ipv4, the odds of two sets of private addresses colliding should have
been small...

They may collide, but it is not a real problem, because it only affects
the situation when 2 sites are connected together.
Using random bits avoids such a situation, but if they collide, one
of the networks must be changed.

Exactly. The same happens when connecting two sites using ipv4.
Renumbering is often a pain, to the extent that I worked somewhere where
there was natting between the two companies so that the other company
looked like it had different IPs to what it really did and DNS was
horrendous! Cached dns for someone moving between the sites was a
problem...

All because the same 10.x addresses had been chosed and renumbering one
or the other was too hard.