Re: Can I install Debian operating systems for money?

Hello,

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 09:31:54AM +0100, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> On 09/08/2022 19:53, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > You can't call yourself a Debian anything, but you can say that
> > you are a consultant or contractor or business that sells Debian
> > installation services.
>
> But the OP can achieve a Linux certification, say LPIC 1,2 or 3, and call
> themselves "Certified Linux system administrator".

I had a negative experience with LPI about 15 years ago where I
signed up for one of their tests at a conference (FOSDEM) just out
of interest and then in the weeks afterwards I was bombarded with
marketing emails.

I asked them why and they said that by giving them my email address
I had consented to marketing from all of their partners (there was
no notification of this nor an opt-out at sign up time).

I asked them to remove my details and they said they'd already been
given to all their partners and I'd have to unsubscribe from each
thing individually. One of those partners had no form of unsubscribe
mechanism and kept bothering me week after week.

The person running one particular LPI partner was quite abusive in
their communications and basically laughed at the idea that they had
to stop marketing to people that didn't want it. Despite that
partner, LPI UK, using the LPI name and reputation, LPI itself was
unable to help me in any way as they had no policy for how their
partners should use personal details they had been passed. In the
end I had to block LPI UK at that mail server level.

Yes, this was 15 or more years ago: I hope LPI and LPI UK have grown
and improved in the intervening years. We've had several iterations
of privacy laws since then which should have made a difference too.
I'm sure thousands of people have interacted with LPI and its
partners with no issues. But the experience left me with an
extremely poor impression of LPI and as my career was already well
established by that point I found it easy to never pay them any
consideration after that.

LPI UK still exists after all these years and it's still Bill Quinn
running it, so I could never do business with LPI knowing it
might in some way benefit LPI UK.

Around the same time I was maintaining an RHCE certification and I
never had such issues with Red Hat. Despite forcing you to learn a
lot of things that are Red Hat-specific, I did think that RHCE was a
decent certification that employers paid attention to, and still do.
It helped me in my career and I took notice of its mention when
interviewing people myself.

Cheers,
Andy