Re: VFAT vs. umask.

    From: Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com>
    Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 13:39:00 -0600
> The preparation of any storage medium requires at least two steps. To
> format means ...
>
> In another step one lays down a file system: ...

Understood, at a superficial level at least.  Haven't invented or
implemented a file system.

> Microsoft conflated the two, leading to much confusion over the
> years.

Even prominent software uses "format" loosely.  Eg. Gparted >
Partition > Format to > ... .

If we really want to improve terminology we need to
(1) understand intimately software such as gparted,
(2) find or invent terms more specific than "format",
(3) convince maintainers to fix the bugs (adopt the new terms) and
(4) take credit for the revolutionary improvements.  =8~)

> Try mounting it from the command line, and watch the output. That will
> show you whether it is being fscked. However, FAT has no ability to
> store when it was last fscked, so I would wonder why it was being
> fscked at all.

In further observations, the problem is primarily in the old Fedora
based OLPC XO system.  Debian Bullseye usually recognizes and mounts
the f.s. on the SD card with no difficulty.  Rather than troubleshoot
the obsolete system I'll continue an effort to make DebXO work on the
XO 1.5 machine.

Thx,                               ... P.

mobile: +1 778 951 5147
VoIP: +1 604 670 0140
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/User:PeterEasthope