Re: VFAT vs. umask.

In previous copies of this message I omitted attribution of the quotes.

    From: David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>
    Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 14:15:26 -0500
> ... reformat the card to an ext format and you can forget about that.

According to several other messages alignment and block size are
concerns in reformatting.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/primary#Adjective  sense 2.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/master#Adjective  sense 2.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/store#Noun  sense 4.

> ... copy it off the SD onto a hard drive to work on it, then put it
> back (hopefully with care, not overwriting, and thorough flushing [1}.

I never do that.  I use a file on the SD just as if it's on a spinning
hdd.

To shut the machine down I don't just pull the power plug.  I use
shutdown so that files can be closed and devices can be unmounted.

> ... when the card fails[2], you have a backup already, almost by
> definition.

Correct.  Rsync was mentioned a few days ago.

> They're cheap; I'd use two [SD cards] anyway.

I have two.  As mentioned at the beginning of the thread, one is about
a decade old and still works. The other purchased a few months ago.

Thx,                              ... P.

mobile: +1 778 951 5147
VoIP: +1 604 670 0140
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/User:PeterEasthope