Re: Verison IPv6 -- I want to stick with IPv4 (was Re: ipv6: static ipv6 address with dynamic network address possible?)

Hello,

On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 06:23:26PM +0000, Marco wrote:
> Am Tue, 2 Aug 2022 16:40:42 +0000
> schrieb Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net>:
>
> > It's possible that some providers might do IPv6 NAT as well, but I
> > think the majority would just apply some default and quite
> > restrictive packet filter rules.
>
> I have never seen that and it makes no sense to do that for a provider
> because it costs resources.

In the email you are replying to I showed that one of the largest
broadband providers in the UK appears to have a default packet
filter for IPv6 that lets in ICMPv6 and related flows and not much
else.

Why do you believe that having their customer premises equipment do
this for v6 is any different from having it do default NAT for v4?

And if it's not doing this, what do you believe *is* doing it? Given
that there is no additional equipment here beyond the ISP-provided
router, and the owner of the property has not changed any of the
settings themselves.

Cheers,
Andy