Re: Help: disk swap

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 at 13:25, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu 28 Jul 2022 at 14:29:32 (+0100), tony van der Hoff wrote:
> > On 27/07/2022 16:07, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> > Thanks for your help. Sadly, I'm not getting very far with this. I
> > guess I'm not understanding your instructions too well:
> >
> > > Have the running linux system on the machine.  Run lsblk to locate the
> > > name of the boot partition.
> >
> > I'll call the disk from the backup machine "B", and the disk I want to
> > use "A".

> The methodology below is unsuitable for you because you don't have
> both disks in the machine at the same time.

It would certainly be easier to help if that was the situation.

We have been told that both machines were running Debian 10. But a
problem is as yet we don't know if they have similar or different boot
systems. That lack of information makes it very difficult to give advice.

So trying to modify disk "A" to boot machine "B" could be tricky. But
perhaps trying to get disk "A" to boot machine "B" is an XY problem that
can be avoided, if maybe Tony only needs to recover some data off
disk "A" onto disk "B".

Given that Tony is not finding this easy, another approach that might
be easier would be to keep the backup machine "B" intact and working
and booting with its disk "B" connected as previously.
And then use something like this:
  https://www.newegg.com/sabrent-ec-dflt-dock/p/N82E16817366069
to connect disk "A" to machine "B".

And then the desired data can just be copied off it, and that might
meet all Tony's needs.

This method can also reveal evidence of what boot system is used by
both machines, and would permit modifying disk "A" if that turns out
to be necessary.

I find this kind of drive dock very useful for admin flexibility and
rescue tasks. I think they are a versatile and useful general purpose
tool for tinkering. So, a worthwhile investment, in my opinion.