Re: Three unsolvable Problems

On Sun, 24 Jul 2022 10:40:14 +0000
Schwibinger Michael <hbss@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Three unsolvable Problems

I suggest you should make these three separate emails, as you have
three separate problems. I suspect this email thread is going to get
messy.

> Hello.
> Maybe somebody has got an idea.
>
> 1
> We have about 20 USB Sticks.
> Last 6 months five of them feel like being destroyed.
>
> What did we do wrong?
>
> Put them in the PC
> they are not accepted and not recognized.
> Sometimes they could be repaired by a neighbour who ist using Windows.

"[F]eel like being destroyed" isn't very specific. What diagnostics did
you run on them, and what were the results?

Can you provide brand name and model? Someone might have experience
with that device. Better yet, the USB identifier that tells us the
manufacturer's name and model. It's two numbers, often separated by a
colon (:), and often four digit hexadecimal values. You can get them
from the command line program lsusb. E.g.:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Quite likely, what you did wrong was to buy flaky USB sticks. They do
fail unexpectedly, although they are getting better at reliability.

Still, 25% in one month does sound fishy. Are you taking proper
anti-static precautions?

> 2
> Printer is not working.
> We give an order
> and only a light is flashing that shows a bug.
> How can we find out if the printer ist destroyed or if we did
> something wrong?
>
> Linux is recognising the Printer but it is not doing printing.

Again, specifics, please. Manufacturer and model number. If USB, the
device identifier as above. What light is flashing, and what does the
printer manual have to say about that light? What error messages do
you get, if any? Log entries?

I wonder if you haven't been hit by a nasty power surge that damaged
your printer and USB sticks. You might review your anti-static
procedures, and test your power cleaning equipment.

> 3
> With the digicam we made MP4 files - videos.
> Because the battery became empty the files are not finalized.
> So vlc or avidemux cannot open them.
>
> Can somebody help to repair them e.g. with FFmpeg?

What have you tried? Have you tried searching either the Internet or
the Debian packages on suitable keywords. I'd try keywords like "mp4
repair".

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com