error using synaptic UPGRADE/INSTALL

Debian 11 AMD

At the end of my weekly UPGRADE session using synaptic, the system
hung.  I restarted using the hardware RESET button.  The system
booted and found a number of orphaned nodes.

When I started synaptic a message was displayed that I needed to run dpkg --configure -a. When I ran that command, the following message
is displayed:

root@penelope:/home/rlh# dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin

Running dpkg again gives the same result.

Should I continue to run the system, or do I need to reinstall?

RLH